Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Future of French whales at proposed sanctuary uncertain

France backs WSP plan, but owners have final say

  • February 18 2026
  • By Joanne Jordan, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter    

PORT HILFORD — Despite France’s December declaration that two captive orcas were “destined” for the Whale Sanctuary Project (WSP) in Port Hilford, their relocation remains uncertain after high-level talks in Paris have failed to produce a final agreement.

French officials, who hold regulatory authority over the animals following the closure of Marineland Antibes under that country’s ban on captive cetaceans, said late last year the whales were expected to be transferred to the Whale Sanctuary Project planned for northeastern Nova Scotia. But the animals’ owners have yet to agree, leaving their future – and possible arrival in Guysborough County – unresolved.

A Feb. 16 meeting hosted by France’s Minister of Ecological Transition, Matthieu Lefèvre, brought together members of Parliament, ministry officials, representatives of the WSP, Marineland Antibes owner Parques Reunidos and several non-profit organizations to discuss next steps for mother-and-son orcas Wikie and Keijo.

The discussions also included nine dolphins still held at Marineland Antibes in southern France. The marine park closed in January 2025 following legislation banning the captivity of cetaceans for entertainment purposes.

Since the closure, no agreement has been reached on where the orcas will be relocated, though participants agree they must be rehomed and that a decision is needed soon. While still being fed, groomed and exercised but no longer performing for audiences, Wikie and Keijo now spend much of their time alone in their deteriorating cement pool, interacting mainly with caregivers and remaining staff.

In a Dec. 13 statement, the French government said the two orcas are “destined to join the Whale Sanctuary Project, a marine sanctuary for cetaceans in Nova Scotia, Canada,” noting Spain had refused a transfer to Loro Parque in Tenerife. The statement described the Nova Scotia sanctuary as “the most credible, the most ethical and the only one that complies with the requirements of animal safety and welfare,” with a potential transfer coming in summer 2026.

However, the WSP said Marineland’s owners have not agreed to send the whales to Nova Scotia and continue to press for relocation to Loro Parque. The Paris meeting was described by the project as a “critical next step” in efforts to retire the whales to a seaside sanctuary rather than another marine park.

The proposed sanctuary site, located near Port Hilford, has received provincial approval, including a Crown land lease granted by Nova Scotia’s Department of Natural Resources on Oct. 21, 2025. Construction is expected to begin soon, with completion anticipated in late summer 2026.

Chief executive officer Charles Vinick told The Journal Feb. 14 that the French ministry “continues to confirm that their preference, and the only option they see for the orcas, is our sanctuary in Nova Scotia.” However, he noted that under French law the government may not be able to impose that solution on Marineland owners Parques Reunidos, which owns the animals.

Because Parques Reunidos is in the marine park entertainment industry, Vinick said the company does not favour a sanctuary solution and would prefer relocation to another marine park where the animals would remain in entertainment and breeding programs.

“We will do all we can to continue our work to bring Wikie and Keijo to Nova Scotia,” he said.

While the dolphins’ future remains under discussion, the outcome of the Paris meeting is widely viewed as pivotal in determining whether the orcas will ultimately be transferred to the sanctuary being constructed in Wine Harbour – a move advocates say would end their display in marine parks and offer them a more natural ocean environment.

Opponents argue the sanctuary is not built and raise concerns about environmental conditions at the site. Project organizers say environmental reviews and risk mitigation plans have been completed and that scientific reports deem the waters safe.

The transfer of any whales to Nova Scotia remains subject to multiple regulatory approvals and coordination between governments and animal owners. Travel permits for each whale must be applied for separately and cannot be sought until veterinarians deem the animals healthy and able to travel.